The most common of these is the salicylic acid acne treatment. These ingredients can be found in many over the counter acne products that are available including creams, lotions and gels that offer relief to acne sufferers. It can penetrate deeply to follicles making it more effective than other treatments. Benzoyl peroxide treats acne by reducing P. acnes bacteria; salicylic acid corrects abnormal skin shedding. Continuous skin shedding causes the pores to clog and start forming blackheads or whiteheads known as comedones that can later develop into acne. Salicylic acid is effective in treating mild acne outbreaks and help in healing non-inflamed acne lesions.
Acne is formed due sebogel to the excessive secretion of oil in glands usually caused by hormonal changes. Common acne sufferers are in their adolescent years, where hormonal changes take place. Salicylic acid does not control the secretion of the oil glands and does not destroy the bacteria that cause acne. This ingredient can cause irritation and careful use is necessary to avoid side effects.
Willow Trees usually grow in cold regions and have abundant watery bark. Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxyl acid which can be found in these trees. Skin penetration is the advantage of this ingredient compared to alpha hydroxyl acids that pass into the skin.
A combination of this ingredient with other substances such as sulfur and benzoyl peroxide should not be done, as it may cause further irritation and can cause an infection that can make the acne worse. Salicylic acid is usually found in chemical peels, which reduce the visibility of mild acne, scarring, and various skin conditions such as dandruff. It has a collagen boosting ingredient ideally used in anti-aging products. Collagen is an essential part of the skin that comprises 40% protein and helps in maintaining the elasticity of the skin.
Utmost care is necessary when using this ingredient. Always try it out on a small portion of your skin before applying it to the affected area. This will make you aware if you have allergic reaction to salicylic acid. It may cause stinging and burning combined with dryness, peeling, and flaking. Avoid these side effects by testing this chemical out on a small area of your skin before you begin to use it.
Salicylic acid is a more-or-less common treatment for acne. Despite its name, some dermatologists classify it as a natural acne treatment. It is made from willow bark, and was apparently known to the ancient Greeks as early as 5th century BC. Salicylic acid, or at least its original willow bark extract, was also known to other ancient civilizations like Sumeria and Assyria for its medicinal properties. Even the native Americans like the Cherokee used it for its pain-killing property and as a cure for fever and other ailments. Today, modern man uses it as one of the treatments for acne.
Of course, in our modern civilization, we no longer need to process the willow bark ourselves. We can just buy the refined part of it, salicylic acid, over-the-counter. So, how does it work as an acne treatment? Basically, it acts as a peeling agent, sloughing off the outer layers of the skin. As such, it helps to open pores and unplug follicles. An important point to note is that usage is preventive. In other words, you apply it to skin which is at risk of acne in order to prevent pimples from forming. Applying this medication to your pimple after it forms is like locking the barn after the animals have run away. Once the pimple forms, you should be using something else like benzoyl peroxide or tea tree oil to get rid of it. Remember: apply salicylic acid continuously to prevent acne.
If it is so good for acne prevention, why doesn’t everyone use it? Simple. It is known to irritate skin. A normal acne treatment regimen includes the use of non-oily moisturizer to soothe your skin after you apply the salicylic acid. Given this, it is better for you to be patient and careful and start at the 0.5% concentration of salicylic acid. Only if you do not get the effect you want should you slowly start raising the concentration. If you start at the upper end of 2%, you could find yourself in pain, much like the after effects of a bad sunburn. The key is regular use at lower concentrations. If 0.5% everyday causes redness, then reduce it to 0.5% every two days. If two days is too often, reduce accordingly, and so on, and so forth.